To post a job opening, please submit a description of the job electronically by e-mail to AAAR (e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org). The price is $150 U.S. for up to 200 words plus .50/word above 200. The posting will remain as long as needed, up to six months. Please send a check (payable to the AAAR) to Attn: Jacqueline Drzemiecki, AAAR, 11130 Sunrise Valley Drive, Suite 350, Reston, VA 20191, and note that this is payment for a job posting on the AAAR Web Site. You may also call Jacqueline direct at 703-234-4101 to pay with a credit card. Sorry, we do not accept purchase orders.
Senior Inhalation Toxicologist
CTP-NCTR Inhalation Toxicology Core Facility
National Center for Toxicological Research
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Food and Drug Administration (FDA), National Center for Toxicological Research (NCTR), Office of Scientific Coordination is seeking to hire a highly qualified Senior Inhalation Toxicologist to serve as the Center expert in inhalation toxicology study designs and methods, with demonstrated expertise in the conduct of inhalation toxicology studies with rodents. As the lead inhalation toxicologist, incumbent will use this expertise in coordinating the operation of the Inhalation Toxicology Core Facility. This facility contains six nose-only inhalation systems for rodents.
Principal duties will include the conduct of rodent inhalation studies in support of the missions of NCTR and Center for Tobacco Regulation (CTP).
Specific tasks will include:
- Ensure the operation of the six nose-only inhalation units complies with all aspects of FDA Good Laboratory Practice, and where directed, in accordance with OECD (Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development) guidelines on the conduct of inhalation toxicology studies (e.g. OECD Guideline 403).
- As the lead and supervisory inhalation toxicologist, the incumbent shall develop and maintain a training program for all personnel on the Inhalation Toxicology Core Facility team, including operation and maintenance of the six nose-only inhalation toxicology units, plethysmography systems, and telemetry implants and monitoring system. This training will be coordinated with the institutional Veterinarians regarding the proper handling of animals, and, vice versa, in the training of Animal Care Contract staff in the proper use of any Inhalation Toxicology Core Facility specialized equipment (e.g. nose-only restrainers).
- The incumbent will work with the Inhalation Toxicology Core Facility staff to ensure the nose-only inhalation units are performing at optimum operating condition (i.e. operational parameters), and that any repairs, modifications, or improvements are conducted in a timely manner. The incumbent should have sufficient knowledge in the fundamentals of inhalation toxicology and use of nose-only inhalation units to enable either the incumbent or Inhalation Toxicology Core Facility staff to procure or design devices/components that enhance the performance of the units.
- The incumbent serves as the Principal Investigator and NCTR Lead on inhalation toxicology studies to be conducted in collaboration with the FDA Center for Tobacco Products (CTP), and as such, interacts with CTP teams and committees on study design and execution.
- Serve as the Center expert on inhalation toxicology for collaboration and consultation on other CTP efforts that utilize the generation of tobacco smoke, tobacco smoke condensates, and/or tobacco smoke constituents.
- Develop personnel and budget plans for the Inhalation Toxicology Core Facility, and ensures the budget and personnel plans are communicated to the NCTR and CTP management and followed during the course of the year.
Minimum Qualification: This position requires an M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc. or equivalent, in the fields of Toxicology, Chemistry, Biology, or related field. Preference will be given to individuals with formal training in inhalation sciences as part of their advanced degree training or demonstrated experience conducting inhalation toxicology studies.
The candidate must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Benefits include health and life insurance options, retirement, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. Preference will be given to individuals with a demonstrated record of relevant accomplishments. Salary for this position will be commensurate with experience. Interested individuals should send a letter of application with a curriculum vitae, statement of proposed and current research interests and names with complete contact information of three references to the attention of Moses W. Robinson, HR Director, NCTR, 3900 NCTR Road, Jefferson, AR 72079 or email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. FDA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. FDA/NCTR is a smoke free environment.
The NCTR, located approximately 30 miles southeast of Little Rock, Arkansas, conducts FDA mission-related research that is of critical importance to the Agency in developing a scientifically sound basis for regulatory decisions. Over 150 Ph.D. scientists and 400 support scientists, on-site-contractors and administrative staff make up a dynamic group of professionals in the NCTR organization. Undergraduate and graduate students, post-doctoral fellows and visiting scientists also pursue education and research opportunities in a multi-disciplinary team atmosphere. For more information on NCTR research and training activities, visit http://www.fda.gov/NCTR.
Posted on 11/30/2016
Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Pharmaceutical Aerosol Engineering, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
The Pharmaceutical Aerosol Engineering Lab in the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Engineering invites applications from well qualified individuals for a Postdoctoral Fellowship. The delivery of medications through the inhalation route provides a number of advantages including rapid uptake, reduced side effects, and direct access to the blood stream and brain without the use of needles. However, existing inhalers are highly inefficient with 30-90% of the medication wasted when administered to adults and 90-99% wasted when administered to children. Our group employs a combination of CFD simulations and in vitro experiments to:
- Develop a new generation of high efficiency inhalers for adults and children
- Target aerosol delivery within the lungs
- Evaluate the performance of inhalers in terms of local lung delivery
- Develop novel inhalation therapies
The open project relates to the delivery of asthma medications to the small airways, inhaled antibiotics, and the development of complete-airway CFD models with in vivo validation.
More information on the Longest Lab at VCU can be found at: https://sites.google.com/a/vcu.edu/longestlab/
Funding for the Longest Lab currently comes from NIH and US FDA sources.
Applicants should have extensive experience in computational modeling, advanced mesh generation in complex geometries, and multiphase transport. Experience in simulating biotransport, aerosols, and/or respiratory dynamics is highly desired.
To apply, please send a CV, transcript copy, list of two or more references, and a cover letter summarizing relevant experience to Dr. P. Worth Longest at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This project is being performed in collaboration with the VCU Department of Pharmaceutics, which is located on the VCU Medical Campus. The VCU Department of Pharmaceutics is widely recognized for its Aerosol Research Group, which specializes in the area of respiratory drug delivery, and organizes the international RDD Conference series (http://www.rddonline.com/) each year.
VCU is an Equal-Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Women, minorities and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Posted on 8/9/2016
Postdoctoral Position at UC Riverside
A postdoctoral position is available immediately (with a preferred starting date of beginning of October) in the area of aerosol and vehicle emissions. The postdoc will work on a collaborative project related to advanced vehicle emission research. The postdoc will also have opportunities to work on other fundamental or applied project depending on the ability and interest.
Initial appointment will be for 1 year, renewable contingent upon performance and funding. Interested candidates should send a detailed CV, along with a list of three references to email@example.com. For more detailed information about the project, please email to the same address.
Posted on 8/2/2016